It’s a fact of life that age can create bags under the eyes which can affect your confidence and the way you feel about yourself, which is where we come in to help.
So, if you’re tired of people asking you why you’re so tired all the time (especially when you’re not!) then this is the blog for you. Here is our guide to the causes and treatments for bags under the eyes including our eye bag removal surgery procedure:
What causes eye bags?
It’s not always a lack of sleep that can cause eyes bags, there are many reasons why you might have particularly dark circles which range from:
- Stress and anxiety
- Smoking and nicotine withdrawals
- Dehydration and/or excessive alcohol consumption
- The natural ageing process often results in a lack of collagen production which can cause drooping and sagging of the skin as it loses its elasticity.
- Sun damage on the face can be particularly noticeable under the eyes due to the delicate and sensitive skin found here.
- Genetics can be a very common cause of eye bags as dark circles and pigmentation under the eye can be hereditary are often found in men and women from a Mediterranean background.
How to get rid of bags under the eyes:
If you’re fed up with the appearance of your dark circles, then we’re sure you’ve tried everything to try and minimise the way they look. Here are our recommendations for tried and tested home remedies to reduce your eye bags:
- Cool the eyes down with a cold compress
- Get a good night’s sleep with no distractions
- Conceal with makeup at least one shader lighter than your foundation
- Try a good eye cream to hydrate the delicate skin under the eye and this will also minimise creasing when using a cream concealer which can sometimes exaggerate them even more.
- Drink plenty of water to tackle dehydration and limit alcohol and smoking as much as possible
- Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
However, if you have noticeable bags under the eyes regardless of diet and lifestyle choices, then you might have started to consider non-surgical treatments like dermal fillers in the tear trough area to reduce their appearance on a more long-term basis.
What if I’ve tried everything, but nothing seems to be working?
A permanent answer to bags under the eye is cosmetic surgery. At The Hospital Group, we offer eye bag removal surgery specifically for patients who have excess, loose, baggy skin beneath the eyes. We understand that eye bags create a tired, aged appearance that can affect your self-esteem. One of our leading cosmetic surgeons can advise you about how eye bag removal surgery can help you get the result you want to achieve.
What are the benefits of eye bag removal surgery?
The benefits of eye bag removal surgery include a fresher and more rejuvenated look, opening up the eyes and reducing the signs of ageing. This can, of course, be unequivocally freeing for many of our patients especially if it something that they have felt embarrassed about or wanted to change for a number of years.
Choosing to have surgery with The Hospital Group means you can benefit from a comprehensive aftercare package, which includes post-surgery appointments with your surgeon and nurse, access to our 24-hour support helpline, as well as re-admission surgery if any clinical complications should occur.
Nicola’s eye bag surgery story
Nicola was 39 when she decided to have eye surgery and was lucky enough to have this fabulous 40th birthday present from her family.
She tells us that, ‘The biggest difference that my eye surgery has made to my life is that I no longer look tired. I struggled before with dark circles and under-eye bags. Since the surgery, my eye make-up stays in place all night which I love, and I have gained a new best friend too, called eyeliner!’
At The Hospital Group, we’re here to look after you at every step…
As UK market leaders in cosmetic and weight loss surgery, we offer advice you can trust, treatment based on your individual needs, and support throughout your journey with us.
In fact, all of our facial surgery including for eye bags, comes with 3 years of comprehensive aftercare as standard, at no extra cost and never with any hidden extras.