The perfect combination of diet and exercise…
It is often said that weight loss is generally 75% diet and 25% exercise. In other words, weight loss without healthy eating just isn’t possible!
Healthy eating and a balanced diet is vital in order to make sure your body is getting all of the vitamins and minerals which is needs to function to the best of its ability. The long-term benefits of maintaining a healthy overall weight and staying within your recommended BMI can’t be emphasised enough, such as reducing your risk of medical conditions often associated with obesity including coronary heart disease, strokes, type 2 diabetes and certain cancers.
Healthy chicken recipes
Our top tip is to make sure you are including healthy chicken-based meals as part of your diet, post-bariatric surgery or not. Amongst other fabulous health benefits, chicken is a great source of lean protein. This type of protein is particularly beneficial for both maintaining a healthy BMI and aiding weight loss as it is lower in saturated fats than most red meats and rich in amino acids. When preparing healthy, chicken-based meals, it is important to select the leanest cuts of the chicken, which is often the whitest parts of the meat. The least fatty part of the chicken is the skinless breast rather than the darker thigh meat and drumsticks which are usually higher in fat and cholesterol especially if they are fried which can increase the fat content further. Think about it, a grilled chicken breast is going to be healthier than fried chicken wings – it’s a no brainer!
Here are just two of our favourite quick and easy chicken breast recipes:
Chicken Wraps: serves 2 (or have one portion freshly cooked and save the rest for the next day)
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 small chopped red pepper
- 1 small onion
- Chinese 5 spice powder and/or chilli powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Stir fry the chicken breast in a tsp of oil for 2-3 mins.
2. Add 1 chopped small red pepper and 1 chopped small onion.
3. Add a tsp of Chinese 5 spice powder. To give it a kick add a tsp of chilli powder or a chopped fresh chilli – optional.
4. Serve when the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are slightly crunchy.
Chicken and Pomegranate Salad – serves 2 (or save half for lunch the next day!)
- 1 cooked, sliced chicken breast
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate, or a small pack of prepared pomegranate
- 2 little gem lettuce leaves
- Small handful of leaves from the top of a head of celery
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tsp red wine vinegar
- A pinch of sugar and salt
- Black pepper to taste
1. Wash and prepare the lettuce and celery leaves and arrange in a small dish
2. Scatter over the sliced chicken and pomegranate.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients to make a dressing and drizzle over the salad.
When you’ve tried your best to follow a healthy diet and lifestyle but it’s proved just not enough to fuel the weight loss results you desire, bariatric surgery with The Hospital Group could be the start of your journey to a new you.
Speak to our team of experts to find out more about the different weight loss procedures available.