Making the Most of Your Cosmetic Surgery Consultation
Cosmetic surgery procedures have been increasingly popular in the last 5 years. Figures from the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) highlight a 5% increase in procedures performed on female patients in the last year, despite the economic climate.
The cosmetic surgery industry has also seen a 7% increase in procedures performed on males over the last year compared to the previous. This makes male cosmetic surgery the fastest growing area of the industry. The most popular procedures carried out on males are: Chest Reduction and Rhinoplasty. Among women, the most popular cosmetic procedures carried out on females are: Breast Enlargement and Liposuction.
Whatever your chosen cosmetic procedure is, it is always worth preparing for it.
Here are our top 10 tips worth considering prior to your cosmetic surgery consultation:
1. Why Do You Want Cosmetic Surgery? Ask yourself what you want to get out of this potential procedure. Be honest with yourself and ensure you’re doing this for the right reasons. Undergoing surgery is a decision not to be taken lightly. Therefore, you should be confident that you have thought about your personal reasoning and expectations from cosmetic surgery.
2. Have You Chosen a Reputable and Experienced Cosmetic Surgeon? A reliable cosmetic surgeon will discuss the risks as well as the benefits of the procedure. Therefore, choosing a surgeon is an important step in your research. An experienced, ethical and trustworthy surgeon should leave you fully informed and feeling comfortable with the chosen procedure. During consultation you should also obtain a detailed and realistic understanding of the procedure and overall experience. All our surgeons are GMC accredited.
3. Is Your Procedure Price Realistic? Be wary of cheaper cosmetic surgery offers and deals. If a deal seems too good to be true – it is worth checking the provider is fully qualified and accredited.
4. Have You Prepared a List of Questions? Ensuring you’re prepared before meeting your surgeon will hugely benefit the consultation process as well as the procedure itself. Preparing a list of questions and discussing everything you can think of, including risks, complications, recovery, aftercare, will help you make a better-informed decision. Make sure you take notes throughout the consultation to refer to afterwards.
5. Have You Entered the Consultation with Realistic Expectations? Ensure you’re being realistic with procedure expectations. By respecting and listening to the surgeon, you can gain a better understanding of why this procedure may not be for you. If you are still unsure, seek a second opinion.
6. Have You Done Enough Independent Research? Make sure you have researched on your own and done your homework, to ensure you’re fully informed on the procedure. Read the procedural information in leaflets and on our website.
7. Is it the Right Time for You? Emotional readiness towards the procedure is equally important as physical readiness. Sometimes, cosmetic surgery may not be the right option for you at this moment in time, for example if you have recently experienced stressful, life-changing or emotional events.
8. Are Your Procedural Expectations Realistic? A life-changing impact can be made on a person’s life following a cosmetic surgery procedure. However, it’s intentions are not to change deeper-rooted body-image issues.
9. Have You Discussed Cosmetic Surgery with a Friend or Family Member? Discussing potential procedures with close relations can give a wider insight into other’s experiences and opinions. This can often be reassuring. Our patient care co-ordinators are also available and on hand to discuss worries and concerns.
10. Have you Scheduled Time for the Procedure and Recovery? Recovery time is crucial as your body need to heal after surgery. Taking some time to allow yourself to relax is just as important as surgery preparation.
Whichever procedure you’re attending a consultation for, it is important to be prepared to make the most out of your consultation appointment. Are you ready to book yours?