BandBoozled: Staying on track this Easter
Gastric band experts Sue & Nic from the UK slimming club Bandboozled understand that Easter can be an especially challenging time when you are on a weight loss journey.
We’re talking family gatherings, dinner parties and meals out which can make weight loss difficult. Add to that all those chocolate Easter eggs and it becomes even trickier to stay motivated and remain on track. That being said there’s no reason why you can’t enjoy Easter and still lose weight – all it takes is a bit of careful planning!
Making the most of the warmer weather
The kids will be on school holidays or you may just be lucky enough to have some time off work during the Easter break, so why not use this time to build in a little extra exercise or fun activities with the kids? Here, are our best ways to stay active during the Easter long weekend:
- An Easter day bike ride with the whole family
- A long, leisurely walk in the spring-like weather
- Start the day with an exercise DVD at home
- You could try a boot camp class in the warmer weather now that the cold snap of winter has gone
- Make up a treasure hunt for the kids in a local park and get them running around looking for clues
- Join a running club and use the lighter evenings to get fit and active
- Paint some hard-boiled eggs with the kids then go out and play bowls with them or roll them down a hill until they crack. Boiled eggs are a healthy snack ready to enjoy when the game is over!
- If the kids have a trampoline then get bouncing – it can be fun for all the family!
- If you are going on holiday try and do a little more activity such as swimming in the pool and more walking whilst out sightseeing
Any activity that will get you moving and burn off those extra calories helping you manage your weight more effectively is great!
Making good food choices this Easter
It’s hard to ignore the lure of the chocolate egg as this time this year but it’s important to stay focused and avoid over-indulging in sweet treats. Here are our top tips on staying on track:
Plan ahead! If you know you will be having a big lunch at Easter or a chocolate egg then be extra careful during the rest of the week, have less snacks and do some extra exercise.
Go easy on the alcohol – not only is it packed full of calories it may weaken your will power when it comes to food.
If you are the one entertaining then cook a healthy meal so you can enjoy it too. Melon or smoked salmon would make a light, easy starter.
If your children get loads of eggs, try not to finish them off but instead share them with friends and family if they have too many!
Lay off the Easter cakes and switch to a hot cross bun instead as a snack.
Stick to a small portion of your Easter lunch with lots of fresh vegetables.
Treat yourself to a smaller Easter egg and enjoy it without any guilt – you deserve a treat too. Just remember to get straight back on track the next day rather than giving up your healthy eating plan altogether.
Maybe try a little chocolate treat instead that has fewer than 100 calories – you still get the taste and a treat without the worry of gaining weight. Try these for some ideas:
- – A low-calorie hot chocolate with a chocolate finger
- – A fun-size chocolate bar
- – A chocolate digestive
- – A light chocolate mousse
- – A few strawberries dipped in a little melted chocolate and set in the fridge
- – 2 Jaffa cakes
Alternatively, if you want a change from chocolate but still fancy a snack you could try the following:
1 low-fat cereal bar
1 bag of low-fat crisps
1 scoop low-fat ice cream and sugar-free jelly
A low-fat yoghurt or fromage frais
A small pack of sugar-free sweets
2 ginger biscuits
2 rich tea biscuits
2 small crackers with low-fat cream cheese
2 breadsticks with a salsa dip
Allow yourself to enjoy the warmer weather and lighter nights. Remember Easter Sunday is only one day – enjoy it, treat yourself if you want too but get back on track for the rest of the Easter holidays.
Spring is the season of renewal. Are you ready for a new start?
Here at The Hospital Group, specialist advice and guidance from our weight loss support team is a fantastic resource which you will benefit from as part of your package with us.
Gastric band patients have the additional support of BandBoozled, an online slimming club for band patients run by Sue and Nic with 12 month’s free membership for all of our new gastric band customers.
This is a huge source of information, recipes, meal plans and weekly updates which can help you on your journey. There is also a weight login area where you can track your weight and measurements and a Forum where you can talk to others with a gastric band and ask questions.