Weight Loss spring recipe | The Hospital Group – The Hospital Group
Recipe of the month from online gastric band slimming club, BandBoozled
Gastric band experts Sue & Nic from BandBoozled, think that Spring is the best time to enjoy fresh lamb, it’s in season and makes a fabulous textured meal especially when you add plenty of fresh vegetables for added fibre and vitamins & minerals.
Here is their famous Spring lamb with seasonal vegetables recipe. You will need the following ingredients:
- x4 small lamb loin fillets or cutlets
- x1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- x1 teaspoon mint sauce
- 250g sugar snap peas
- 200g spring greens
- Freshly ground black pepper
- x3 sweet potatoes cubed
Follow BandBoozled’s simple and easy method:
1. Mix the rosemary, mint and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
2. Coat the lamb loins front and back then leave to marinade.
3. Add the sweet potatoes to a pan of boiling water and boil for 10-15 mins till soft, drain and mash.
4. Boil the sugar snap peas and spring greens until softer until cooked.
5. Pan fry your lamb loins on a grill pan, turning every 2 minutes. Cool for approximately 6-8 mins depending on the thickness. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve together and add freshly ground black pepper if desired.
Enjoy for a seasonal Easter dinner – a healthy alternative to the traditional Sunday roast!
Why does BandBoozled recommend this recipe for our gastric band customers?
The lamb itself is an excellent source of protein! It’s great for healing, tissue repair and one of the main components of a healthy, balanced diet.
Lamb is a red meat and a good source of iron and the all-important vitamin B12.
Following a gastric band, a textured diet is recommended long term for the best results. This means foods should be solid, dry, crunchy or chewy not soft and sloppy.
Lamb fits the bill perfectly and should be tolerated well provided the 20/20/20/20 rule is followed properly. This means no bigger than a 20p sized portion of food on your fork, chew thoroughly 20 times, wait 20 seconds before the next mouthful of food and whatever is left on your plate after 20 mins throw it away!
Remember to keep your portions small after surgery. To give you an idea, your meal should fit on a 6-inch plate, half of it being vegetables and salad, the next quarter made up of carbohydrates and the remaining quarter as protein/s.
Spring is the season of renewal. Are you ready for a new start?
Here at The Hospital Group, specialist advice and guidance from our weight loss support team is a fantastic resource which you will benefit from as part of your package with us.
Gastric band patients have the additional support of BandBoozled, an online slimming club for band patients run by Sue and Nic with 12 month’s free membership for all of our new gastric band customers.
This is a huge source of information, recipes, meal plans and weekly updates which can help you on your journey. There is also a weight login area where you can track your weight and measurements and a Forum where you can talk to others with a gastric band and ask questions.