Summer BBQ season with a gastric band | BandBoozled
Summer is made for barbecuing and there is nothing better than firing up the BBQ and enjoying a delicious healthy meal al fresco.
Gastric band experts Sue and Nic from the UK slimming club BandBoozled tell us that BBQ food is usually a good option if you have a gastric band because it tends to be textured. That means it is solid food with a bit of a bite or chew to it rather than soft and sloppy food which can slip through your band.
When you have had weight loss surgery, textured food works better as it stimulates nerve endings more effectively on the stomach wall which sends messages to your brain to say that you are full which helps manage hunger so you feel satisfied for longer.
With this in mind, get in the summer mood and try this BBQ recipe from our partners at BandBoozled:
Ginger and Lime Kebabs:
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 small red onion
For the marinade:
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 spring onions
- 1 lime – use the juice and zest
- 2cm piece of chopped, fresh ginger root
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 chopped chilli pepper
- Asmall handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Chop the chicken breast into chunks and put in a bowl.
- Place the marinade ingredients in a blender to make a paste.
- Add them to the chicken, mix well and marinate in the fridge for 2 hours being sure to cover the bowl with cling film first.
- Thread the chicken mixture onto 2 skewers, putting a chunk of chicken on then a chunk of red onion and alternate until both skewers are complete.
- Use a low-calorie spray oil in a griddle pan and add the skewers. Turn frequently until the chicken is cooked through and the onion has softened.
- Serve with a fresh green salad and garnish with a little extra chopped coriander on top.
For variety, these kebabs can be made with a change in ingredients such as Quorn, lamb or steak chunks instead with try courgettes and aubergine for the vegetable chunks.
What about a fresh, healthy summer dessert?
- Try some healthy summer lollies like fresh berries blended with a little skimmed milk and a spoon of low-fat yoghurt frozen into lolly moulds.
- Find an alternative to sweets by freezing berries for a cooling, healthy snack over the hot summer months.
- Don’t forget fruit salads are delicious and healthy too – just take it easy on the toppings and enjoy fresh seasonal fruit as nature intended.
BandBoozled’s advice is to enjoy the summer weather and make the most of the barbecuing season and ensure you fill up on salads and veggies.
There are many ways you can make changes to your diet and lifestyle…
Here at The Hospital Group, specialist advice and guidance from our weight loss support team is a great resource which you will benefit from as part of your package with us.
By being a member of BandBoozled, you will have access to many gastric band friendly recipes, meal plans and weekly updates which can help you on your journey. There is also a weight login area where you can track your weight and measurements and a Forum where you can talk to others with a gastric band and ask questions.